Explore some of the shorter but equally as beautiful walks right on Taupo’s doorstep.
This tour is a great option for those who want a taste of New Zealand’s native scenery and walks at a relaxed pace.
Your day begins with a scenic drive around the west side of Lake Taupo showcasing beautiful views of the mountains in the distance.
Our first walk is a lesser known lake of the area; Lake Rotopounamu. Formed after a landslide 10,000 years ago, this secluded haven is home to some of our most beautiful native trees. Giant rimu, miro, matai and more, with trunks up to 2 metres in diameter. Crane your neck and look up to discover the different wildlife living above.
We then travel to one of New Zealand’s national icons and hidden gems. This wetland surrounded by forest can only be described as ‘magical’, but we will leave the rest a surprise to be discovered.
On the journey home enjoy the views from the Eastern side of Lake Taupo.
Prefer to create your own custom Taupo tour? Contact us with your dream tour.
- Departs Taupo
- Scenic drive heading South around the lake
- Lake Rotopounamu walk (5km)
- National icon trail walk
- The appearance of our ‘secret spot’ can change drastically depending on the weather. Don’t worry though, it remains beautiful in all conditions!
- You’ll need walking shoes and in cool weather, warm clothing
- Includes packed lunch and refreshments
- Allow approximately 7 hours
- Pick up from your accommodation included
When booking please include your preferred date of travel and where you will be staying.