Enjoy both the WHAKAREWAREWA VILLAGE GUIDED TOUR and the WHAKA GEOTHERMAL TRAILS
On the Whakarewarewa Guided Tour, you will:
- Explore an authentic living Māori village where people live on a daily basis, using natural geothermal resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes as they have for centuries.
- View the geothermal wonders of Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley including the world-famous Pōhutu geyser, boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools.
- Learn what it’s like to live in the challenging geothermal plateau where daily life includes cooking in the bubbling pools and steam vents, and bathing in the refreshing therapeutic waters. Take in our various historical landmarks and buildings, including an active Marae (meeting grounds and focal point of Maori communities), our WWII Memorial Archway, historic churches, and tapu (sacred) burial grounds. Whakarewarewa is truly NZ’s iconic Living Maori Village experience.
The trails are self-guided walks ranging between 30 and 60 minutes and suitable for people with a low level of fitness. These trails combine views of native ferns, edible plants and glimpses of our unique geothermal landscape, including colourful steaming lakes and thermal pools that you can only view at Whakarewarewa. You will definitely find a most memorable photo-snap opportunity for your Facebook and Instagram profile! The Whaka Geothermal Trails will be an ongoing reserve development as we open new areas to be discovered.
- Opening hours Daily (except for Christmas and Boxing Day) 10am to 4pm.
- Guided tours of 1 to 1.5 hours are at 10am, 12pm and 2pm daily (last Entry at 3.15pm) Includes hot spring cooked corn.
- Child rate is 5 -15 years. Under 5 years are FREE.
- Maximum of 20 people per guided tour.
- Walks take approx. 1.5 hours
- After making your booking online, you will receive a confirmation booking voucher which can be handed to the reception desk at the attraction or activity. Guided tour may require booking.