- 45 minute cruise on Lake Rotomahana in Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Self-guided walking and hiking trails
- Learn about the history and eruption of Mt Tarawera that formed Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Star Hill Crater – the site of the first bit of regenerating plant life
- Sites of the World Famous Pink & White Terraces that were covered by the eruption in 1886
- Rediscover the Pink & White Terraces, the formaer 8th wonder of the world, with free augmented reality app
- Donne Cliffs & Fumarole Bay
- Unspoiled, natural wilderness & wildlife refuge
- Live audio commentary
- Allow 3+ hours
- Four departures daily – 9.30am, 11am, 12pm and 12.45pm. Capacity is limited for this experience so please pre-book
- Snacks & cold drinks available for purchase onboard
Experience all the Waimangu Valley has to Offer
Discover the Waimangu Volcanic Valley and Lake Rotomahana with the Full Waimangu Experience. You’ll enjoy beautiful walking & hiking trails, woven through a natural geothermal ecosystem. Complete the experience with a 45 minute boat cruise around Lake Rotomahana, the final resting place of the Pink & White Terraces.
This half-day geothermal experience completely immerses you in the unique environment of Waimangu Volcanic Valley.
You can explore the world’s youngest geothermal valley at your own pace, with walking trails for all abilities and ambitions. Walks vary in length from 1.5km to 4.5km, covering a range of geothermal activity, hot springs, volcanic craters, nature and wildlife.
The trails ultimately lead you down to the lake, where you’ll enjoy relaxing 45 minute cruise around the tranquil waters of Lake Rotomahana. Highlights of the cruise include stunning geothermal activity only accessible by boat, as well as rare native birdlife.
You can also listen to the historic stories of the lake, the Pink and White Terraces and the Mount Tarawera eruption from the onboard commentary. Places on the boat cruise are limited, so advance booking is recommended to avoid disappointment.
Historic Lake Rotomahana
Enjoy the history and geothermal attractions on a boat cruise around beautiful Lake Rotomahana. Learn about the important role this Lake has in New Zealand’s history.
Explore this amazing, natural environment that has been unaltered by man since its creation in 1886. The youngest of New Zealand’s large, naturally formed lakes, Lake Rotomahana is New Zealand’s original tourist attraction. During the 19th Century, visitors travelled to Lake Rotomahana attracted by the legendary pink and white terraces which were destroyed in 1886. You can choose the boat cruise only or add the boat cruise to your walking tour.
Lake Rotomahana is one of the deepest lakes in NZ’s North Island. It is protected as a wildlife refuge, and large numbers of birds live here all year round. Beautiful geothermal springs and geysers display along the south west shoreline. It will always remain as one of NZ’s beautiful, unspoiled, natural wilderness areas.
The cruise is 45 minutes long. There is English spoken commentary on every cruise. Transport is provided from the entrance to the boat jetty and return after the cruise. Prior bookings for this option may be necessary in peak seasons between November and March each year – let us know which departure you would like when buying your pass.
Children under 6 years of age are free with an adult.