Orakei Korako – The Hidden Valley!
Explore a volcanic world of gushing geysers, hot springs, bubbling mud pools and some of the largest and most amazing silica terraces in the world.
Wander through the Hidden Valley and visit the thermal Ruatapu Cave which extends more than 36m down into volcanic tuff to the ‘Waiwhakaata’ or ‘Pool of Mirrors’ hot pool at the bottom.
Marvel at the number of boiling hot springs and the vibrant colours all around you, or take a native bushwalk through this untouched geothermal paradise. The Lonely Planet Guide describes Orakei Korako as “…arguably the best thermal area left in New Zealand”.
Off the Beaten Track
Somewhat ‘off the beaten track’, the Hidden Valley lies nestled in the Taupo Volcanic Zone between Taupo and Rotorua. Orakei Korako is a mere 25 minute drive from Taupo and 45 from Rotorua, and not far from State Highway 1 and State Highway 5.
Feel free to bring the whole family – even your dog! Start your adventure with a piping hot latté from our MudCake Café – and finish with delicious fresh baking and a glass of wine. Enjoy free wi-fi at the Visitor Centre.
Admission include the ferry trip to and from the attraction, along with entrance to the valley and cave. The ferry runs on demand from 8am each morning, with the last trips leaving at 4pm over the winter months and 4.30pm during Daylight Saving.
Check out this footage of Orakei Korako and see what it’s all about!
- Self-guided walk around the geothermal area
- Return ferry trip (no timetable, runs on demand)
- Allow 1-2 hours
- Baby backpacks for under twos are available free of charge (park is not stroller friendly)
- No special footwear required
- Open 8am – 4.30pm
- Cafe on site
- Dogs are welcome, on a leash and you need to take care of any byproducts!
- Child age is 6-16 years, kids 5 and under are free
- Located at 494 Orakeikorako Road, Taupo