Discover the Maori Rock Carvings on a Taupo cruise on classic, eco-friendly yachts.
Looking for the ultimate water activity? Taupo’s Maori Rock Carvings are possibly the largest of their type in the world and are a must-see attraction, only accessible by boat. Sail Barbary has been offering Taupo cruises to these carvings since 1983.
You’re invited to make yourself at home on the lovingly restored classic white sailing yachts, which set the scene for a wonderful experience on stunning Taupo Moana (Lake Taupo).
Mine Bay Maori Rock Carvings
Sit back and relax, as your fun and experienced guides explain the 800 year old cultural significance of the 14-metre high Mine Bay Maori Rock Carvings. You’re guaranteed amazing photo opportunities as you experience one of life’s postcard moments. You can even BYO (Bring Your Own) food and beverages on our Taupo cruise. Things really couldn’t get more kiwi!
You can help hoist the sails or take a turn at the wheel. The yachts are equipped for all conditions; if the wind dies down, Barbary’s eco-friendly electric engine kicks in, moving you noiselessly through the water. When the wind is up, you can enjoy sailing without salty sea-spray and noisy outboard motors.
10.30am and 2pm daily (except Christmas Day)
- 2.5 hours trip
- Awesome photo opportunities of the Taupo Maori Rock Carvings
- Board NZ’s only two commercially operated electric yachts
- Complementary hot drink and choccie fish
- Free souvenir postcard
- Warm ponchos are available if the weather turns cold
- Child rate applies to 0-15 years
- Minors (under 18 years) must be accompanied by an adult, 1 adult per 2 children ratio.
- You are welcome to BYO (Bring Your Own) prepared food and beverages (R18 for alcohol)
- Located at berths 9 & 10, Redoubt St, Taupo Boat Harbour, Taupo