This product is not currently available since Covid19. It is currently closed until further notice.
Te Po is Te Puia’s evening cultural experience starting at 6:15pm. It is a feast of storytelling, entertainment and Maori Cuisine.
In Maori tradition, Te Po (the night) was a very important time. It was when Ranginui (Sky Father) and Papatuanuku (Earth Mother) lay in an embrace. When separated, light permeated Te Po and Te Ao Marama (World of Life) began.
- Experience an authentic Maori welcome – When you visit Te Puia at night, you enjoy an in depth experience of the customs and traditions of Maori, with a traditional powhiri (Maori welcoming ceremony), a warrior’s challenge and a full kapa haka (Maori performing arts) concert.
- Enjoy a first-class Maori feast – Feeding guests is regarded by Maori as an honour and a sign of a tribe’s mana (standing), so a sumptuous banquet is provided during the evening. This banquet combines contemporary cuisine with a traditional hangi (earth-cooked oven meal), where kai (food) is steam-cooked by hot rocks in the earth, giving it a delicious smokey flavour.
- Enjoy Te Puia’s illuminated thermal valley – Following dessert, you will be transported by ‘people movers’ to enjoy the spectacular lighting of the Te Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley. Guests can wander around the illuminated natural attractions, including the world famous Pohutu geyser which explodes 30 metres high into the air, while enjoying more Maori-inspired delicacies and a hot drink.
- Starts at 6.15pm and finishes at 9.00pm
- After making your booking online, you will receive a confirmation booking voucher which can be handed to the reception desk at the attraction or activity.