Tongariro River Whitewater Family Float
Gather up the family – this is a fantastic Grade 2 whitewater rafting trip for nature lovers of all ages, and a perfect introduction to whitewater rafting!
When you arrive at the base, your expert guide will brief you and kit you out in high quality gear to keep you safe and cosy. You’ll be whisked away from town a short distance to the banks of the pristine Lower Tongariro where your adventure begins.
On board your raft, the whole family can pitch in and paddle, or simply sit back and relax while your guide does all the work. The gentle currents will carry you along with regular areas of small, bouncy splashy rapids – enough to keep you on your toes without scaring your grandma – the kids will love it!
Make friends with our wonderful wildlife
The awesome highly trained guides at Tongariro River Rafting are experts at calming any first-time nerves. They’ll keep you entertained and tell you all about the sensational scenery and wildlife you’ll see while you’re floating along.
You’ll get to know the whio, highly endangered native blue ducks who call the Tongariro River home. They live in pairs all along the river – see if you can spot them!
The water on the Tongariro is crystal clear as it is naturally spring fed – keep an eye out for the huge rainbow and brown trout swimming around.
Warm up with a hot drink
After around 1.5 hours of fun family adventures in the beautiful backcountry, you’ll head back to the base for a lovely hot drink. In winter you’ll finish off with a trip to the hot pools – the best way to warm up before you head home tired but happy.
- Gentle whitewater rafting on the lower Tongariro River
- Total trip time is 2.5 – 3 hours (1.5 hours on the water)
- Polar fleece jersey, splash jacket, helmet, wetsuit, booties and life jacket are provided
- Refreshments are provided
- Departs from The Rafting Centre, 95 Atirau Rd, Turangi (free pickups from Turangi on request)
- Summer departures, November 1 to March 31, 10.30am & 3.30pm
- April departures, April 1 – 30, 10am
- Winter departures, May 1 to October 31, 9am
- Minimum age is 3 years
- GoPro friendly