Experience the warmth of our Legacy Guided tours through NZ’s iconic living Maori village. Our Village guides are direct descendants of the early Māori guides who’s Legacy shaped tourism in New Zealand for generations. Their insights, knowledge and legendary hospitality (manaakitanga) adds depth and richness to the experience you’ll have at Whakarewarewa – The Living Māori Village.
On the Whakarewarewa Guided Tour, you will:
- Explore an authentic living Māori village where people live on a daily basis, using natural geothermal resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes as they have for centuries.
- View the geothermal wonders of Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley including the world-famous Pōhutu geyser, boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools.
- Learn what it’s like to live in the challenging geothermal plateau where daily life includes cooking in the bubbling pools and steam vents, and bathing in the refreshing therapeutic waters. Take in our various historical landmarks and buildings, including an active Marae (meeting grounds and focal point of Maori communities), our WWII Memorial Archway, historic churches, and tapu (sacred) burial grounds. Whakarewarewa is truly NZ’s iconic Living Maori Village experience.
- Opening hours Daily (except for Christmas and Boxing Day) 10am to 4pm.
- Guided tours of 1 to 1.5 hours are at 10am, 12pm and 2pm daily (last Entry at 3.15pm) Includes hot spring cooked corn.
- Child rate is 5 -15 years. Under 5 years are FREE.
- Maximum of 20 people per guided tour.
- After making your booking online, you will receive a confirmation booking voucher which can be handed to the reception desk at the attraction or activity, or you can ring and book onto the guided tour.